Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Lest One Should Actually Have To "Conversate"



Okay, before anyone gets butthurt and wants to point out that this isn't a real quote, I don't care.  I don't know if it's a real quote. I didn't feel like taking the time to verify it.  The image just fits well with my little post today.


About a year ago, my little sister and I went out to eat at the Olive Garden.  Two tables over was a mother and daughter having lunch together.  Sounds nice, doesn't it?  They never talked to each other.  The entire meal was spent on their respective cell phones.  I had to just shake my head sadly.  If I am taking the time to go out to eat with someone, they deserve my attention.  

When Ken and I were dating, we had a no cell phone rule when we went out to eat.  We (gasp!) turned them off for the duration of our meal and conversed* with each other.  Whoever felt the need to get in touch with us was put behind the person we were with in real life.  Whoever was calling or texting could wait an hour or two until we finished our meals.

We don't need that rule anymore since we got rid of our cell phones.  But if we decide to get phones again, those same rules would still apply. It's also nice when the person you are with has your undivided attention and vice versa.

We have friends who thankfully ignore their phones when out with us.  If they must answer, they make it quick and get back to the people they are with.  I really appreciate this.  I can't understand seeing a group of friends out with at least half of them checking their phones every five minutes.  I think that just says to your companion that whomever is on my phone is more important than you. 

I understand an if it's an emergency or if you are waiting for an important phone call.  But if I have to listen to you comisserate with a friend about how expensive something is or telling your spouse exactly what to purchase when he/she goes to the store tomorrow, I'm going to think you are rude.

Let's face it.  

If someone is important enough to spend time with in person, they are important enough to give your undivided attention. 

And that means not answering every little buzz or ringtone.

*Yes, the word is converse, not conversate.  During my weekly visit, I converse with my parole officer about cats. Last Tuesday, I had a conversation with my parole officer about cats. Just because a few musical artists made up the word to fit in a few songs does not make it acceptable to use in actual life. 

2 comments:

  1. I loved your post. I was at an event in NYC and people were on their phones when CLINT EASTWOOD was speaking!
    I, too, have noticed the increased use of the word conversate. At first, I hated it, but now it has grown on me and I sort of like it. I must be a bad person. Not bad enough to actually use the word though, I have my standards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe that they couldn't put them away while Clint was speaking. Probably tweeting or updating Facebook that they are listening to OMGClintEastwood.

      I don't think you're a bad person. I'm just amazed because I had never heard it used before it was in a couple songs and now it's everywhere. But I'm the nerd who corrects my children when they say "otto" instead of auto.

      Thanks for reading.

      Delete