Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Hardest Sins To Forgive

I came across the greatest sound bite on forgiveness today on Mormon Channel's Facebook page.


My sisters and me



The person that I struggle with forgiving is one of my own siblings. I'm certain I also need forgiveness from her too. We have struggled for years with our relationship because of this forgive and forget attitude I (and I assume she does also) think is supposed to be best. So we had periods pretending and trying to be the close sisters that you read about in books and see in movies.

But the strain could always be felt underneath all this sisterly affection. The hardest sins to forgive are often from the ones you love the most, for they often leave the deepest wounds.
About two years ago, I made the choice to forgive my sister for the things that have hurt me. I won't forget them. I also will not carry the hurt and pain. That has made a huge difference in my feelings towards my sister. I no longer feel anger or resentment when she pops up in conversation or my own thoughts.

Even though I love my sister, part of my forgiveness process is keeping her presence in my life to a minimum. It makes me sad to have my own sibling essentially a close acquaintance in my life. But, and I know this sounds awful, she brings very little into my life that is positive. I cannot go through life feeling the need to walk on eggshells every time she is around.

I love my sister. I choose to forgive and then keep her at arm's length so that I can continue to love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment