Monday, December 10, 2012

Homemade Vegetable Stock




I love using stock while cooking.  It adds a much better flavor than the powdered bouillon I usually use.  I never thought of using vegetable stock before.  Just beef or chicken. I have never made a meat based stock so have no idea how  easy it is too make. Veggie stock, however, is super easy.  Plus, it has a great golden color and super flavor.

I came across a tip in an old magazine to save the ends and bits you don't use when cutting up vegetables to make stock with.  I keep a gallon size Ziploc in my freezer just for this purpose.  My usually ends up consisting of just onions, carrots and celery.  I put skins, root ends, peelings and whatever else I would normally throw in the trash or compost in the baggie.  When the bag finally fills up, then it's time to make stock.


My freezer bag currently only has some celery in it.


I threw the veggies in my stock pot, filled it with water, and let it come to a boil.  Once it was boiling, I turned the heat down to low and let it simmer all day.

That's right.  All day.  If you are going to do this, make sure it is on a day when you are home all day.  I start it in the morning and take it off the heat before bed.  I check on it occasionally and add water if it is getting low.

I only put the vegetable peelings in it.  I don't add salt but you could add some if you want.


Simmering
Once it has cooled, I put it in quart sized freezer bags.  I measure out the stock, and just pour it in.  I then push as much air out as possible before sealing it.  Make sure to do this step over a bowl.  If the bag leaks or you spill, you don't lose that stock.  I lay the bags flat in a baking dish and freeze them.
Before freezing, I usually let it sit out for an hour or so to make sure the bags aren't leaking.


Ready to go in the freezer

When I need to use some stock, I just thaw one out in a pan or bowl.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

No comments:

Post a Comment